Sunday, January 12, 2014

Why Sail?

There are many reasons I can think of to sail. I am a dreamer and have always tried to follow my dreams. This dream about sailing came to me while visiting the coast of France and seeing all the beautiful sailboats. John is a dreamer too. 
We have enjoyed the water since we were children. 
Southern Coast of France


There have been many adventures that have led us here. A few I can think of include my first BiG sailboat experience. That experience was while visiting my dad for his 65th birthday in Key West. It was sunset aboard a 65' Cat. I got to steer the boat and help raise the sail. I loved it and knew I wanted many more sailing experiences. Those experiences have been from taking photos of sailboats at many places around the world, to practicing sailing on a tiny boat with a tiller while on Bald Head 
Island in North Carolina, to helping sail a World's Cup sailboat while in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, to Sailing on Puget Sound and watching sailboats at Friday Harbor. 
Friday Harbor 


Finally one day after John returned from South Texas he told me he was sitting on the beach one day watching sailboats sailing on the Gulf of Mexico.  He said he thought to himself " I could do that". That's when it started he began to buy sailing books of all kinds. He started reading blogs from people around the world who were sailing. Soon we started looking at boats. And here we are at the start of our adventure. Our first REAL sailing lesson was on Lake Erie. That was quite an experience, we were on three different boats that weekend being instructed by an elderly gentleman who never talked about life jackets. Later it occurred to us, uhhhh maybe we needed life jackets on those rough waters that day, especially when John was summoned on deck to untangle a line.
First. Sailing Lesson 

Life Is Good, Sail On!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment